Skip to Content

Other Credentials

State Licensure
Public School Certification


State Licensure

Most states have licensure laws regulating the audiology and speech-pathology professions. These laws exist to protect the public from unscrupulous individuals who are not qualified to provide competent services to persons with communication disorders. The Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, and the surrounding states of Delaware, Maryland, New Jersey, and New York all have such licensure laws. In order to work as a professional in these states, you will be required to obtain a license in your area of expertise (i.e., speech-language pathology).

Licensure laws differ from state to state, but most licensure laws have similar components. For example, for the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania and the surrounding states mentioned above, candidates for licensure must obtain a master’s degree or its equivalent. Similarities also exist among these states in terms of the requirements that (1) candidates pass a national examination, and (2) candidates complete a period of internship (typically the Clinical Fellowship Year, or CF that ASHA requires for certification). Of course, professional programs at colleges and universities are responsible for providing the master’s degree; the national examination and CF requirements typically take place after the candidate has graduated from college, although many students opt to take the national examination toward the end of their academic careers.

The academic and clinical curricula of the Speech-Language Pathology program at Misericordia University meets the professional requirements for licensure in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania and the surrounding states of Delaware, Maryland, New Jersey, and New York. Any student graduating from Misericordia University with a master's degree in speech-language pathology should have no problem obtaining licensure in these states, or any other state for that matter. Although the taking of a national examination occurs typically after graduation from college, the Speech-Language Pathology program at Misericordia University requires the students to show evidence of having taken the examination.

Public School Certification

The Speech-Language Pathology program at Misericordia University is approved for the certification of graduates for public school instruction in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.

Students who plan to work in the school system in Pennsylvania will need to complete TED 232 (Education Psychology) (3 credits) and TED 364 (Methods in Life Skills) (3 credits), SLP 300 (2 credits), SLP 260 (3 credits), SLP 230 (3 credits), PAPA & PRAXIS II tests, a school fieldwork SLP 610 or SLP 620 (supervised by a SLP who has the CCC, school certification, and is licensed) with completed PDE 430 forms, and other PDE requirements (6 credits of Math; 6 credits of English - 3 American or British Literature and 3 English Composition; 3 credits of Lab science). Students will need a C or better in all classes. Before a student begins student teaching (Fieldwork), the student will successfully complete the PAPA & PRAXIS II tests and all other tests and courses required by PDE. The SLP department does not award Teacher Certification. It is awarded by the Special Education department on campus. The student will obtain any waivers of course work from the Special Education Department. To obtain Teacher Certification, the student must apply to the Special Education Department after completing the school fieldwork and an electronic portfolio. Students from other states should check their state requirements to determine whether their states will accept Pennsylvania Teaching Certification.


The basic skills testing requirement, previously met by the PRAXIS I Reading, Writing and Mathematics, will now be met by the (PAPA) Reading, Writing and Mathematics modules. Information on signing up for the PAPA (along with other useful information on the PAPA and PECT) is at:

Please note:

  • The basic skills tests are not required of program candidates who already have a bachelor’s degree.

All candidates for certification must meet the qualifying score for all applicable tests at the time their application for certification is received by the Bureau of School Leadership and Teacher Quality. The required tests and qualifying scores may change; current qualifying scores are published on the PDE website.