PSHA Convention 2012 - receiving the NSSLHA award
National Student Speech-Language-Hearing Association (NSSLHA)
The National Student Speech-Language-Hearing Association (NSSLHA) is the student arm of the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (ASHA). Membership in NSSLHA is open to any student who has an interest in communication sciences and disorders. ASHA has special incentive programs for students who remain NSSLHA members throughout their studies. NSSLHA members also receive a discount in the registration fee to the Annual Convention of the association, and receive several of the publications that are made available to full ASHA members.
Most professional university programs in communication sciences and disorders have their own local chapters of NSSLHA. The Speech-Language Pathology department's NSSLHA chapter was chartered in the Spring 2004 semester.
All speech-language pathology majors are encouraged to become active members of the NSSLHA chapter.
Accomplishments achieved during the 2010-2011 academic year.
- Raised money, made, and donated 100 blankets to Dr. Collini, a plastic surgeon, who distributed them to children in Ecuador following facial reconstructive surgery.
- Donated hygiene supplies, linens, clothing, and $60 to Orphan Grain Train, an organization that provides food and necessities to those affected by the earthquakes in Haiti.
- Donated $240.00 and participated in a local Apraxia Walk for Apraxia research.
- Raised $1,160 selling candy for the 2011 Memory Walk instituted to remember loved ones who suffered with Alzheimer’s.
- Contributed $200 to the American Speech-Language-Hearing Foundation 2010 Annual Giving Campaign.
- Raised $200 selling tickets for a pasta dinner and collected donations for a Speech-Language Pathology alumnus who was battling cancer.
Accomplishments achieved during the 2011-2012 academic year.
- Created and delivered Holiday Cards to residents at the Meadows Nursing Home Dallas, PA.
- Collected and filled 28 shoeboxes for Operation Christmas Child.
- Donated 81 books, 15 movies to the Schenk Memorial Library in Noxen, PA.
- Participated in Andy Gavin’s Green Ridge Mile to benefit United Cerebral Palsy.
- Members, under the direct supervision of a faculty member, presented a workshop on auditory processing, language, and literacy at Wyoming Seminary-Lower School.
- Operation Smile to cover a reconstructive surgery $240.00.
- Rotary Club of Bombay Central to support a rainwater harvesting project in India $1000.00.
- John Heinz Institute of Rehabilitation Medicine $300.00.
- Ruth’s Place Shelter $25.00 for the annual walk-a-thon.
- 2012 NSSLHA Loves Campaign $250.00.