Current Student Internship Information
An internship helps a student gain experience in a particular field or job function under the guidance of an employer. It can be paid or unpaid, credited or not for credit, and it can be completed during the academic year or during the summer.
Internships offer experience-based learning that enhance students' academic and career goals. These experiences serve to provide the opportunity to apply classroom theory to real world situations. Completing an internship is a great way to build a resume and explore career options. Internships can also help a student develop skills and make contacts / network in their field of interest.
Employers rate internship experience as a top factor in evaluating candidates for employment. This makes the experiential education process an essential part of preparing for life after college. Treat the internship process just like applying for a job - be sure to apply for several internships as you won't be offered each one. Deadlines vary by industry and most organizations recruit candidates at least one semester in advance.
- Meet with the career center or academic advisor (see contact list below)
- Complete application / Secure internship / Determine site supervisor
- Register for credit (if necessary)
- Develop / Complete Learning Objectives with faculty internship advisor
- Complete student and employer evaluations (Mid-term and Final)
Sampling of recent internship placement sites:
- Baker Tilly Virchow Krause, LLP
- Commonwealth Health Systems
- Frontier Communications
- Highmark Blue Cross
- Kronick, Kalada, Berdy & Co, PC.
- Metz Culinary Management
- Northwestern Mutual
- Philadelphia Eagles
- Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Washington Redskins
- Wilkes-Barre Scranton Penguins
If you're looking for internships, here's the place to start!
- COLLEGE CENTRAL NETWORK lists the internships that are mailed, faxed, and phoned into the office daily.
Web Internship Listings
- Internships on Monster.com
- CampStaff- summer job opportunities
- Internship Database from College Grad
- Pennsylvania Newspaper Association (PNA) Internship Guide
- Summer Jobs
- InRoads - internship and ed. programs for minorities
- Federal Government - "Pathways"