Veteran Services

Misericordia remains committed to recognizing the importance of a quality education while upholding strong values and honor within the community. Those values make Misericordia the perfect place to attain one's educational goals. With this mission in mind, Misericordia welcomes the men and women who have served or are currently serving our country in the U.S. Armed Forces, including spouses and dependents.


Student Veteran Liaison

Rosie L. Rodriguez Olivencia

  • Email:
  • Telephone: (570) 674-6238
  • Student Life, Banks Center Room 104

VA Certifying Official,

Associate Director of Financial Aid

Jo Anna Naylor

  • Email:
  • Telephone: (570) 674-3022
  • Mercy Hall Room 114

Thank You for your Service.

How to Apply for Veterans...

How to Apply for Veterans, Service members, Spouses, and Dependents

Step 1: Apply for Admissions to Misericordia University

  • Fill out the Undergraduate Application if you are applying to college for the first time, in high school, have graduated high school four or more years ago, or are a college transfer student. There is no cost to apply using the online application system.
  • Fill out the Graduate Application if you are seeking your advanced degree (a master's or doctorate). There is no cost to apply using the online application system.

Step 2: Apply for Education Benefits

  • VA Online Application through the Department of Veterans Affairs
  • Transferring students
  • National Guard submit form DD2384, Notice of Basic Eligibility (NOBE) and form VA 22-1990*
  • When received, submit a copy of your Certificate of Eligibility to the VA Certifying Official.
  • Chapter 31, submit a copy of VA form 28-1905

*All forms found at

Step 3: Request your Service Transcript and/or College/University transcripts

  • *May receive college credit for Military experience

    Step 4: File the FAFSA

    The American Council on Education (ACE) recommends college credit for military training and experience. Misericordia uses ACE recommendations for awarding college credit for students with military transcripts.

    For a list of Majors/Minors refer to the Misericordia University website under the Academics tab or by clicking here.

    Veterans Benefits Information

    For education benefits related questions, contact a Veterans Benefits Counselor at 1-888-GI-BILL-1 (1-888-442-4551).

    Veteran Benefits Request Form (VBRF)

    Once you have registered for classes submit a Veteran Benefits Request Form to MU’s Certifying Official with a copy of your current course selection schedule for the upcoming term you are requesting VA enrollment certification for. Pick up a form at the Certifying Official’s office located in Mercy Hall, first floor room 114. The VBRF is your authorization to submit enrollment to the VA and your commitment to pay any charges owed to the school that are not covered by VA benefits.

    Jo Anna Naylor

    Yellow Ribbon Program

    Yellow Ribbon Program

    • Misericordia University participates in the Yellow Ribbon GI Education Enhancement Program. The Yellow Ribbon program provides matching funds from the Department of Veterans Affairs to supplement the Post-9/11 GI Bill.
    • GI Bill BenefitsPost-9/11 GI Bill recipients who qualify at the 100% benefit level are eligible for the Yellow Ribbon program. Please visit the VA Yellow Ribbon Program for more program-specific eligibility information.

    More information regarding the Yellow Ribbon Program is available on the Misericordia website.

    What Chapter are you?

    • —Chapter 30 (Active-Duty Montgomery GI Bill)
    • —Chapter 31 (Service-connected disability, Vocational Rehabilitation & Employment)
    • —Chapter 33 (Post 9/11 GI Bill)
    • —Chapter 33 TOE (Post 9/11, Transfer of Entitlement)
    • —Chapter 35 (Survivors and Dependents)
    • —Chapter 1606 (Reserve GI Bill)
    • —Chapter 1607 (Reserve Educational Assistance Program, REAP)

    Education Assistance

    • —State Grant for Veterans

    Ride the WAVE

    What is WAVE?

    • WAVE is the Web Automated Verification of Enrollment.
    • Applies to Veterans Receiving Chapter 30, 1606, 1607 and VRAP MGIB Benefits.
    • Submit monthly verification of enrollment.
    • Those receiving the Post-9/11 GI Bill do not have to verify their attendance through WAVE.
    • Verify your attendance on the last calendar day of each month you are attending classes.
    • Veterans can check the status of their record, and report changes to their enrollment directly to VA.
    • Go to
      • Follow the log-in instructions.
    • The best day to verify is the last day of the month, even if it is a Saturday or Sunday.
    • Contact by phone at 1.877.838.2778

    Veterans Benefits Reference Guide


    • Life Insurance
      • Servicemembers Group Life Insurance (SGLI)
      • Veterans Group Life Insurance (VGLI)
    • Pension
      • Paid to Veterans age 65 or older or permanently and totally disabled, demonstrating financial need
    • Home Loans
    • Education
      • Financial support
    • Health Care
      • Inpatient hospital care
      • Outpatient services
    • Burial
      • Burial and memorial services

    Benefits for Veterans with Service-connected Disabilities

    Student Veteran Support

    Resources and Links


    • A great place to begin your application process and obtain information on VA programs is by going to the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs website.
    • GoArmyEd is for eligible Active Duty, National Guard and Army Reserve Soldiers to request Tuition Assistance (TA) online. GoArmyEd assists with the managing your education records including classes, testing, and on-duty classes.
    • The AF Portal Login is the Air Force's online process for airmen to request Tuition Assistance. The Air Forces' "Virtual Education Center" Online Tuition Assistance Request forms may be found in the portal.
    • Tutoring Assistance
      • Misericordia University offers free tutoring for students in the Student Success Center.
      • Students using federal GI Bills can receive a supplemental payment for approved private tutors. The veteran/servicemember must be currently enrolled and at least half time. Find more information at the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs webpage on tutorial assistance.

    Job Support


    • —Health and Wellness Center (Misericordia clinic)
      • Anderson Center
      • Lower Level
    • VA Medical Center in Wilkes-Barre, PA
      • 570-824-3521
    • Center for Women Veterans (CWV)
      • CWV monitors and coordinates VA's administration of health care, benefits services and programs for women veterans.
    • After Deployment
      • Wellness resources for the military community
    • Safe Helpline
      • Sexual assault support for the DoD community
      • 24/7 support

    Family Assistance

    Financial Assistance

    General Support

    Other information/Veteran Organizations

    Around MU

    • Parking/vehicle registration ($60 per year)
    • myMU
      • Click on Current Students
      • Sign in using the Misericordia user name and password
        • Email
        • Blackboard
        • Schedule
        • Registration
        • Books
        • ADP
        • Academic services
    • MU Photo ID
      • Mercy Hall Room 23
    • IT Department
      • Mercy Hall Room 23
    • Book/Campus Store
      • Banks Student Center
      • (570) 674-6271
    • Housing
      • On campus
        • Complete Campus Housing Agreement
    • Dining
      • The Cougar's Den
        • Chick fil A
        • The Chopping Block
          • In the Banks Student Center
      • John and Mary Metz Dining Hall (Cafeteria)
        • In Banks Student Center
      • Intermetzo
        • In Insalaco Hall
      • Starbucks
        • In Banks Student Center
      • CHS Kiosk
        • College of Health Sciences Building (Passan Hall)
        • On Lake Street
    • In the Know
      • MU Alerts
        • myMU
      • Compressed Schedule
        • myMU > Students
    • Computer Labs
      • Bevevino Library
        • Second Floor Research Lab
      • Hafey-McCormick Science Building
        • Room 205
      • Insalaco Hall
        • Ground floor, open Computer Lab
      • Henry Student Lounge
        • Commuter lounge
      • John J. Passan Hall
      • Mercy Hall
        • Room 335
        • Room 349
        • Ground Floor Lounge (24 hours)

    Computer Lab Hours (except Library Labs)

    Fall or Spring Everyday: 8:00AM - 11:00 PM

    Summer Everyday: 8:00AM - 8:00 PM

    Contact Veteran Resource Team


    The Admissions Office provides assistance to students and student veterans/service members navigate and succeed with academic resources and transition services.


    The Expressway program is formatted to meet the needs of working adult students. Students can earn a bachelor's degree in as little as 2 1/2 years. Students attend classes 1 evening per week, four hours per class, in 5 week sessions - or in 7 1/2 week online sessions. Students can chose to complete the entire degree online if that is a more convenient option.

    The tuition for Expressway students is discounted and is currently $395 per credit. Financial Aid is available for qualifying students. Students have up to 10 years to complete their bachelor's degree.

    For more information about the program please contact:

    • Jaime Elston
      • Admissions Department


    Students at Misericordia University are assigned an advisor once accepted into the university. The Academic Advisors can help Veteran students register for classes. Advisors assist students meet university requirements to reach their educational and career goals.

    Registration forms can be found by following these steps:

    MYmu> Students> Reports and Forms> Registration and Academic Program Adjustment Forms


    Campus Ministry at Misericordia University serves the Mission of the University by making visible and effective their Mercy Charisms and Catholic Tradition. They seek to respond to the Critical Concerns of the Sisters of Mercy through advocacy, education and action.


    The Insalaco Center for Career Development provides career-planning services that prepare students for successful transition from college to career. They provide individual career counseling, resume and cover letter development, career assessment/major choice using MBTI and Strong Interest Inventory, internship advising and resource, graduate school advising and resources, career and internship fairs, networking fairs, interview preparation, part-time job opportunities among a broad variety of other services.

    Located on the First floor of McAuley Hall


    The Student Success Center is an academic resource for all Misericordia students who want to improve their academic skills and strategies. The SSC provides assistance through tutoring and other resources to help you become more confident and successful in your coursework. The SSC is located on the lower level of Alumane/McGowan Hall.

    • We can help you with:

      • Writing and research
      • Course material
      • Time management
      • Test preparation
      • Reading comprehension
      • Test anxiety
      • Critical thinking
      • Study strategies

    • Students with Disabilities, Assistant Director Student Success Center


    The Counseling Services and Psychological Services Center offers support and counseling services appropriate to the students’ needs. Our services are confidential and available at no charge for a variety of topics, such as adjusting to college, anxiety, depression, or relationship concerns. A counselor is also on call 24 hours a day for emergency services.

    Please call the CAPS Center at 570-674-6408, or simply drop by our office during business hours to schedule an appointment.

    The CAPS center is located on the lower level of McGowan Hall.

    Director of Counseling and Psychological Services


    The Department of Veterans Affairs defines a School Certifying Official (SCO) as the individual assigned the authority of completing all paperwork necessary to certify the enrollment and changes in enrollment for students eligible for VA educational benefits at their college or university. The school certifying official does not determine eligibility for benefits nor do they have access to any student’s Department of Defense VA records.

    School Certifying Official

    • Jo Anna Naylor


    powered by finalsite