Misericordia Interprofessional Education Connection (MIPEC)
To engage students and faculty in interprofessional education and experiences to support the collaborative team approach in professional practice.
The (MIPEC) embraces the vision of the College of Health Sciences and Education and Misericordia University and will strive to:
- Prepare students and faculty to function as members of an effective collaborative team, understanding the unique roles and responsibilities that support value for those we serve in evolving professional environments.
- Create a culture of “best-practice” supported by evidence that promotes a coordinated, timely, efficient, effective approach to inter-professional education and practice.
- Promote and advance research and scholarly activity related to inter-professional education and practice within professions.
What is Interprofessional Education (IPE)?
“Interprofessional education occurs when students from two or more professions learn about, from, and with each other to enable effective collaboration and improve health outcomes. Once students understand how to work interprofessionally, they are ready to enter the workplace as a member of the collaborative practice team. This is a key step in moving health systems from fragmentation to a position of strength.”
Source: World Health Organization (WHO). (2010). Framework for action on interprofessional education & collaborative practice. Geneva: World Health Organization.
Interprofessional Core Competencies
A competency approach to interprofessional education emphasizes the essential behavioral combination of knowledge, skills, attitudes and values that make up a collaborative practice-ready graduate.
The IPE Core Competency Domains include:
- Values and Ethics for Interprofessional Practice
- Roles and Responsibilities
- Interprofessional Communication
- Teams and Teamwork
Each of these links provide multiple individual objectives which may be used to reinforce or enhance current course goals and objectives.