Diagnostic Medical Sonography
Sonographers (Ultrasound Technologists) perform medical diagnostic procedures that use high frequency sound waves to produce dynamic visual images of human organs, tissues or blood flow inside the body.
Our degree offers high quality education in abdominal to include breast, thyroid and other superficial structures, obstetrics, gynecology, and a solid foundation in vascular.
Diagnostic Medical Sonography is a specialized healthcare field requiring well-educated individuals who must engage themselves with compassion for others, strive for excellence in examination acquisition, and exhibit confidence as a member of the healthcare team.
First-Time Pass Rates
Graduates Earned RDMS Credential
Ranked 6th Fastest Growing Occupation
- This is for the first "slide" and will be hidden. DO NOT DELETE
- B.S. Full-Time Diagnostic Medical Sonography
- B.S. Part-Time Post Certification Diagnostic Medical Sonography (ARCH Accelerated)
- Diagnostic Medical Sonography Certificate
Full-Time Bachelor of Science in Diagnostic Medical Sonography
- Hybrid format. The core curriculum will be traditional on-campus with the sonography core courses being held on-campus in the every other weekend format with a few courses conducted fully on-line.
- Receive a liberal arts education through Misericordia's core curriculum to adapt to various professional environments
- Opportunities for financial aid and scholarships as a full-time student
- Eligibility to apply for exams through ARDMS, the most recognized credentialing organization for sonographers
- Option to sit for the ARRT Sonography exam
- On-time completion rate of 100%—meaning every graduate completed the program within the 18-month timeframe
- On-campus courses scheduled every other weekend (Saturday and Sunday) for each semester
- Integrates classroom learning with simulated lab experiences and clinical education
- Simulated lab is available during the week in both daytime and evening hours to accommodate a variety of schedules
Part-Time Accelerated Bachelor of Science in Diagnostic Medical Sonography (Post Certification)
- Credentialed sonographers can apply earned credits towards their degree.
- Advanced sonography course work focuses on preparing students for specialty certification exams (fetal echocardiography, neurosonography, breast) or an additional credential (RVT). Visit ARDMS for certification information.
- Designed to have flexibility to meet the needs of the sonographer with all courses being offered in the online format.
- Courses are taught by faculty members who are experienced professionals in the field of sonography.
- Sonographers enrolled in the part-time accelerated courses receive a significant discount from the normal part-time undergraduate per credit rate. Learn More.
Amy Jackson, RDMS, RVT
My experience in the Diagnostic Medical Sonography program at Misericordia University was one of my most challenging, but one of the most rewarding journeys I have embarked upon. The DMS program is not only designed for you to become a great technologist, but the program really gears you up to become a successful medical professional.
Erin Baltusavich, BS, RDMS
Misericordia University's Diagnostic Medical Sonography program has taught me the skills, knowledge, and has given me the confidence to establish a successful career in the sonography field. After graduation, I was able to gain full-time employment, which is often difficult for new graduates.
Sheryl E. Goss, MS, RT(R)(S), RDMS, RDCS, RVS, RVT, FSDMS
By holding a bachelor's degree in Sonography, it may make it easier to earn promotions in the field and earn them earlier in your career. Additional career opportunities could include consulting, education, administration, research and business.
The Diagnostic Medical Sonography program has affiliation agreements with numerous clinical sites, both hospitals and outpatient imaging centers, for students to gain the skills required to master the art of scanning and creating quality images.