The Teacher Education Department is one of the University’s oldest departments. Many of the original students who entered College Misericordia in 1924 became teachers. Since then, Misericordia University has prepared thousands of excellent teachers for our nation's classrooms.
With all of its programs, the Teacher Education Department seeks to develop effective teachers who are masters of the content they teach and who teach in pedagogically-sound ways that inspire students to learn. Using educational theory and methods courses with the liberal arts core as a base, the Teacher Education Department provides a variety of learning opportunities to facilitate our students’ mastery of a thorough knowledge of human growth and development with an appreciation of diversity so that, as teachers, our graduates will understand, respect and respond to the unique strengths, needs, and desires presented by individual students and their families.
The Misericordia University Department of Teacher Education was one of 16 undergraduate and graduate programs in Pennsylvania - and the only one in Northeastern Pennsylvania - to earn an A from the National Council on Teacher Quality (NCTQ) for demonstrating excellence in preparing new teachers to teach reading.
PDE & Middle States
Hours of Field Work
by time of graduation
Small Class Sizes
(Most major courses capped at 15)
Starting Freshman year
TED 2019-20 Pass Rates* (Program Completers)
Early Childhood (PK-4) Modules 1, 2, 3
Pass Rate = 95% State Pass Rate = 78%
Special Education (PK-8) Modules 1, 2
Pass Rate = 90% State Pass Rate = 71%
Graduate Education 2019-20 Pass Rates
Pass Rate = 100% State Pass Rate = 92%
*Middle Level and Secondary Education rates not reportable due to low N
Misericordia's Teacher Education Pass Rates are much higher than the State Pass Rates for the same time frame.
The Teacher Education Department offers the following undergraduate programs:
Early Childhood Education
Early Childhood/Special Education
Middle Level Education
An M.S. in Education degree is available in the following specializations:
Reading Specialist (K-12) - Also available as a graduate certificate program
Educators seeking to maintain an active public school certification status and meet the requirements of Act 48 of 1999 will find that Misericordia's PD Program provides a wide variety of courses offered in a flexible format.
Vestibulum id ligula porta felis euismod semper. Nulla vitae elit libero, a pharetra augue aenean lacinia bibendum ipsm dolor.
Nulla vitae elit libero, a pharetra augue aenean lacinia.
Vestibulum id ligula porta felis euismod semper. Augue aenean.
Vestibulum id ligula porta felis euismod semper. Nulla vitae elit.
Vestibulum id ligula porta felis euismod semper. Nulla vitae elit libero.
Preparing teaching professionals who effectively educate children in technology-rich, diverse classrooms, steeped in the values of the Sisters of Mercy, the Teacher Education Department offers the following undergraduate programs:
- Early Childhood Education (Pre-K to Grade 4) is designed to qualify graduates for PA Instructional I certificates
- Early Childhood/Special Education Program, which eventuates in two new state certifications (Pre-K to Grade 4 and Special Education)
- Middle Level Education Program (Grades 4-8) with a selection of five content area concentrations including Math/Science, Math/English, Math/Social Studies, Science/English, and Science/Social Studies
- Five areas of Secondary Education (Grades 7–12) with Biology, Chemistry, English, History (Citizenship), and Mathematics.
At the graduate level, the Teacher Education Department offers a Masters of Science in Education degree. A candidate can specialize in one of two areas, one of which prepares a candidate to apply for PDE certification.
- Reading Specialist (K-12) - Also available as a graduate certificate program
- Instructional Technology - Equips candidates with the knowledge and skills to use technology in educational settings.
Professional Development (ACT 48)
Educators seeking to maintain an active public school certification status and meet the requirements of Act 48 of 1999 will find that Misericordia University’s Professional Development Program provides challenging, rigorous courses offered in a flexible format.
Misericordia offers courses in online, hybrid, and face-to-face formats through the ARCH Professional Development program.
Through the PD On-Demand program, students can complete PD courses that are fully online and self-paced while benefitting from our most affordable rate.
- Combined Early Childhood and Special Education program option allows students to complete two state certifications during their four years at the University.
- Our programs focus on diversity, ensuring that our program completers are prepared for the realities of our nation's classrooms. As freshmen, all of our students complete an urban education experience and all of our methods courses address diversity matters. They complete a full course related to ELL students (English Language Learners). Our Middle Level and Secondary Level Program students complete three three-credit courses that address how they can work in regular education with included students with disabilities.
- As freshmen, our students start their field experiences in our area's public, private, and/or charter schools. During their four years, they complete two field experiences, three supervised course-related practicum experiences, and two supervised student teaching placements. In all, they spend about 750 hours in classrooms. Our students are welcome in every public, private, and charter school in the area.
- We directly address teaching and learning with technology. In our curriculum, we have a free-standing technology course and all of our methods courses use technology in various ways. We had the state's first assistive technology lab. Some of our graduates teach in cyber schools.
- Early Childhood
- Early Childhood and Special Education Dual Major
- Middle Level Education (Grades 4-8)
- Biology Major, Secondary Education Certification
- Chemistry Major, Secondary Education Certification
- English Major, Secondary Education Certification
- History Major, Secondary Education Certification/Citizenship
- Mathematics Major, Secondary Education Certification
My experiences at Misericordia have been like no other. As a secondary education student, I have been given many opportunities that friends at other schools have missed.
My experience with the Teacher Education Department at Misericordia couldn’t have been more rewarding. The caring and knowledgeable staff provided me with the skill set necessary to follow my passion to its truest potential
Early Childhood & Special Education
The field work throughout my years here has been extremely engaging and beneficial, providing me with hands on experience to prepare for a successful career in the classroom.
Dr. Colleen Duffy
Chairperson and Assistant Professor
Dr. Susan Tomascik