Undergraduate Teacher Education
Preparing teaching professionals who effectively educate children in technology-rich, diverse classrooms, steeped in the values of the Sisters of Mercy, the Teacher Education Department offers the following undergraduate programs:
- Early Childhood Education (Pre-K to Grade 4) is designed to qualify graduates for PA Instructional I certificates
- Special Education Program is designed to prepare teachers who wish to work with students with disabilities from Pre-K through Grade 12.
- Middle Level Education Program (Grades 4-8) with a selection of five content area concentrations including Math/Science, Math/English, Math/Social Studies, Science/English, and Science/Social Studies
- Five areas of Secondary Education (Grades 7–12) with Biology, Chemistry, English, General Science, History (Citizenship), and Mathematics.
- The General Science (Grades 7-12) program develops effective teachers who are masters in the content areas of life, physical, and earth and space sciences.
Misericordia's Teacher Education Pass Rates are much higher than the State Pass Rates for the same time frame.
- At only 133 credits, Early Childhood and Special Education program Double Major option allows students to complete two state certifications during their four years at the University
- Our programs focus on diversity, ensuring that our program completers are prepared for the realities of our nation's classrooms. As freshmen, all of our students complete an urban education experience and all of our methods courses address diversity matters. They complete a full course related to ELL students (English Language Learners). Our Middle Level and Secondary Level Program students complete three three-credit courses that address how they can work in regular education with included students with disabilities.
- As freshmen, our students start their field experiences in our area's public, private, and/or charter schools. During their four years, they complete two field experiences, three supervised course-related practicum experiences, and two supervised student teaching placements. In all, they spend about 750 hours in classrooms. Our students are welcome in every public, private, and charter school in the area.
- We directly address teaching and learning with technology. In our curriculum, we have a free-standing technology course and all of our methods courses use technology in various ways. We had the state's first assistive technology lab. Some of our graduates teach in cyber schools.
- Early Childhood
- Special Education
- Early Childhood and Special Education Double Major
- Middle Level Education (Grades 4-8)
- Biology Major, Secondary Education Certification
- Chemistry Major, Secondary Education Certification
- English Major, Secondary Education Certification
- History Major, Secondary Education Certification/Citizenship
- Mathematics Major, Secondary Education Certification
- B.S. Education: General Science (Grades 7-12)
The Misericordia University Department of Teacher Education was one of 16 undergraduate and graduate programs in Pennsylvania - and the only one in Northeastern Pennsylvania - to earn an A from the National Council on Teacher Quality (NCTQ) for demonstrating excellence in preparing new teachers to teach reading.