International B.A. to M.A. Option
Small Class Sizes
The English curriculum at Misericordia University emphasizes the development of critical reading and writing skills as an essential preparation for professional life or graduate school. In addition, the study of literature offers the most enjoyable approach to the study of human nature, ideas, and age-old human situations and dilemmas.
Graduates from the English Department pursue a wide range of careers, including teaching (at both the secondary and college level), law, newspaper and magazine editing, web design/development, public relations, advertising, news reporting and writing, publishing, creative writing, technical writing, and script writing for media.
See what it is like as an English major ...
Be sure to check out this interview featuring current English major, Leah Brown
- An emphasis on writing in all courses that prepares students for the job market or graduate school, and gives them an advantage in almost any field they may choose to enter.
- A multi-disciplinary approach that links the study of literature to related fields, such as theatre, film and other media, philosophy, history, and art.
- The BA to MA in English program with the University of Reading in the UK, which allows students to complete their BA and MA degrees in five years.
- A secondary education certification that prepares students to teach English at the junior high/high school level, and a 100% pass rate on the National Teacher Exam.
- A Writing Track for students interested in professional or creative writing, combined with practical experience through internships with local media outlets.
- A highly qualified and accessible faculty, with PhDs from Columbia University, Indiana University of Pennsylvania, the University of Colorado, the University of Sheffield, and the University of Louisiana at Lafayette.
- Small class sizes in upper-level courses (capped at 15), run as seminars. Students get individual attention, both in classes and in advising on career opportunities.
Mary Pat Blaskiewicz '19
It has been a privilege to work with the English professors in a variety of settings – from classroom activities to Sigma Tau Delta events to summer Literature Camp, to name a few – and I am grateful for the ever-present support, encouragement, and guidance they continue to offer.
Kristen Capitano '19
From presenting at the International Hemingway Conference in Paris to conducting independent research, our English professors continuously motivate me and support me in all of my endeavors, and I feel well prepared to attend graduate school after graduating.
Madison Cardinale '19
The professors are endlessly supportive and have always encouraged me to enhance my learning and experience in various ways such as provoking me to participate in academic conferences all over the world. I have also made some of the best friends I could ever imagine in the English department.
English Program Contact
For inquires about the English program at Misericordia University, please contact Dr. Patrick Hamilton at (570) 674-8020 or
BA to MA Program Contact
For inquires about the BA to MA program with the University of Reading, please contact Dr. Amanda M. Caleb at (570) 674-8113 or