B.A. to M.A. in English
The BA to MA in English is a five-year program in which students complete a four-year Bachelor of Arts degree in English at Misericordia and a one-year Master of Arts degree in English Language and Literature at the University of Reading in the United Kingdom. Students choose from the following specializations: a Master's degree in English, with tracks in Renaissance, Victorian, or Modern and Contemporary Literature; a Master's degree in Children's Literature; or a Master's degree in Samuel Beckett: Archive, Text, and Performance.
Check out this webinar about the University of Reading. Learn about the various BA to MA program options from professors and hear from students about their experience.
Learn more about the University of Reading from their faculty, students, and alums.
Students in the BA to MA track at Misericordia will benefit from the following:
- Fast-track application to graduate school: students will write a letter of interest to the specific MA program and obtain the approval of the English department's full-time faculty at Misericordia—no GREs, letters of recommendation, etc. are required.
- Early admission: students will be notified of their offer to attend the University of Reading by July 1st before their final year of study at Misericordia.
- Tuition benefit: students in the BA to MA track will benefit from a 10% discount on tuition.
These benefits are exclusive to Misericordia University students!
Taylor Rupp '17
My time studying in England has given me a broader sense of the world and an opportunity to enjoy new cultures. I have learned to be a more independent researcher both academically and socially.
Studying for an MA at the University of Reading has three major benefits: lower tuition fees than many US graduate programs in English; a shorter duration (twelve months as opposed to twenty-four months); world-renowned facilities and faculty.
The University of Reading is ranked in the top one percent of universities in the world according to the 2019 Times Higher Education University Ranking and the 2019 QS University World Rankings. The University is a 30-minute train ride to both London and Oxford. To learn more about the University of Reading's English department, please visit:
Students may join the BA to MA track as early as August of their first year of study at Misericordia and as late as Fall of their Junior year; they will follow a slightly altered curriculum from the traditional English BA majors (see below). Students in the BA to MA track must fulfill the following requirements by the end of their junior year:
- Complete at least nine upper-division English classes;
- Earn a cumulative GPA of 3.3 and a major GPA of 3.5;
- Be approved for graduate study by all full-time faculty of the English department;
- Write a letter of interest to the specific program or track at the University of Reading by May 20 of their Junior year.
Upon completion of these requirements, the program director will submit the supporting documents to the University of Reading; students will receive confirmation of acceptance by July 1 before their final year of study at Misericordia. Throughout the entire program, the program director will serve as advisor to the students to help with class selection, letter of interest, etc.
For additional information about the BA to MA program with the University of Reading, please contact Dr. Patrick Hamilton, at (570) 674-8020 or firstname.lastname@example.org.