Lending Code of Conduct
Misericordia University (MU) is committed to providing students and their families with the best information and processing alternatives available regarding student borrowing. In support of this and in an effort to rule out any perceived or actual conflict of interest between MU officers, employees or agents and education loan lenders, the university has adopted the following lending practices that come from a commitment to the best interests of our students.
- The university does not participate in any revenue-sharing arrangements with any lender.
- No officer or employee of MU who is employed in the Student Financial Services office or is otherwise involved in administration of education loans shall solicit or accept any gift from a lender, guarantor, or servicer of education loans.
- MU does not permit any officer, employee or agent of the school who is employed in the Student Financial Services office or is otherwise involved in administration of education loans to accept any fee, payment or other financial benefit (including a stock purchase option) from a lender or affiliate of a lender as compensation for any type of consulting arrangement or contract to provide services to a lender or on behalf of a lender relating education loans.
- MU does not permit any officer, employee or agent of the school who is employed in the Student Financial Services office or is otherwise involved in administration of education loans to accept anything of value from a lender, guarantor or group of lenders and/or guarantors in exchange for service on an advisory board, commission or other group established by such a lender, guarantor group of lenders and/or guarantors. MU does allow for the reasonable reimbursement of expenses associated with participation in such boards, commissions or groups of lenders, guarantors, or groups of lenders and /or guarantors.
- MU does not assign a lender to students through financial aid packaging or any other means.
- MU recognizes that a borrower has the right to choose any lender from which to borrow to finance his/her education. MU will not refuse to certify or otherwise deny or delay certification of a loan based on the borrower’s selection of a lender and/or guarantor.
- MU will not request or accept any offer of funds to be used for private educations loans to students from any lender in exchange for providing the lender with a specified number or volume of Title IV loans, or a preferred lender arrangement for Title IV loans.
- MU will not request or accept from any lender assistance with call center or financial aid office staffing.
Violations of university policies, including the failure to avoid a prohibited activity or disclose a conflict of interest in a timely manner, will be dealt with in accordance with applicable university policies and procedures, which may include disciplinary actions up to and including termination from the institution.