History majors at Misericordia University gain excellent training in the liberal arts, and have several professional specializations available to them. Majors are trained to evaluate evidence and communicate persuasively, both verbally and through effective writing. Our courses are intellectually stimulating, and can include experiential learning experiences or professional opportunities.
In the History program, we understand the importance of training students to become better global citizens. Our courses are designed to give students a deeper understanding of the past and contemporary society by examining the workings of government, the implications of public and foreign policy decisions, and how each of these have influenced social, cultural, and political experiences of individuals. Our faculty come highly-trained from some of the top research universities in the country, and we take an active role in mentoring undergraduates and encourage them to become leaders in their communities. Students in our programs graduate having honed their critical research and writing skills, and are well-prepared to pursue careers in museums, government agencies, the legal profession, non-profit administration and management, journalism, libraries, education, and a host of other professional paths.
- This is for the first "slide" and will be hidden. DO NOT DELETE
- B.A. History
- B.A. History (Citizenship Secondary Education Certification)
- B.A. History (History and Media Specialization)
- B.A. History (History for Business Specialization)
- B.A. History (Pre-DPT Specialization)
- B.A. History (Pre-Law Specialization)
- B.A. History (Public History Specialization)
4+1 History BA/MBA
Why wait to begin the MBA program when you can get started as an undergraduate student?
Healthcare Management, Human Resources Management, Management, or Sport Management
Find out more by emailing Karen Cefalo at
The 4+1 History BA and MBA program offers students interested in history and business a useful foundation for a variety of professional paths. The program introduces students to the study of history and the practice of business, providing an interdisciplinary basis for successful citizenship and entrepreneurship over a five-year course of study.
Valuable Professional Skills
We offer a wide range of professional opportunities designed to give Misericordia graduates an edge as they enter the job market. These include:
- Faculty-directed research
- Study-abroad programs
- Summer research fellowships
- Semester-Away at American University (Washington, DC)
- Networking opportunities with regional and local institutions, through volunteer and service-learning programs
Our majors have gone on to pursue graduate degrees in law, history, political science, library science, and medicine; they have become teachers and museum educators; they have risen to leadership positions in their local communities and governments; they have embarked on careers in business; and they have worked for government agencies in Washington, DC.
Students who study History at Misericordia may enter a wide range of careers, including:
- Business and non-profit sector jobs, especially through our History for Business, Public History, and 4+1 MBA / MS-OM programs
- Librarianships at research, public, and governmental libraries
- Law School and Medical School
- Teachers and Professors at schools, colleges, and universities
- Local government
- Historical preservation firms
- Corporate archives and record keeping
- Editors and publishing
- Grant-writing for non-profit organizations
- Professional writers and journalists
- Museum work, including exhibition preparation and curation, education, development, and public outreach
Briana Scorey '19
I have developed incredible relationships with professors who care about me and support me as both a student and a person. As an officer of the History Club and member of the Phi Alpha Theta Honor Society [History's honor society], I am able to pursue my love of history outside the classroom and build a repertoire of experience that will help me in graduate school.
Amber Kelley '18
Throughout my four years at Misericordia University, I met incredible professors in the History department who wanted to see me succeed and achieve my career goals. With their encouragement, I have pursued many opportunities that have given me the experience needed to achieve my goal.
It was Misericordia’s wonderful history faculty and captivating history classes that showed me that my true path in life is history. Switching my degree to history my Sophomore year of college was the best decision of my life.