Beginning in the Fall of 2019, traditional weekday students will enter the Entry Level OT Program that begins with attainment of the Bachelor of Science in Occupational Science. In their junior year, students will select either the Masters of OT or the OTD graduate track.
Since the first ACOTE accreditation in 1985, the occupational therapy department has been preparing occupational therapy practitioners to utilize theory-based, occupation-focused assessment and intervention strategies to assist the individual in improving functional performance. Recently, the curriculum has been refined with an increased focus on occupations, evidenced based practice, community leadership and dynamic reasoning to promote professionals who provide meaningful and effective OT practice. Upon successful completion of the Bachelor’s of Science in Occupational Science (OS) degree, students will continue into the Master’s of Science in Occupational Therapy (MSOT) degree track or the Doctorate in Occupational Therapy (OTD) degree track.
Upon completion of the entry level degree and passing the National Board for Certification of Occupational Therapists examination, graduates can expect to practice successfully in a variety of traditional and non-traditional health care delivery settings with clients across the lifespan.
Pass Rate 2019
Class of 2019
Overview and Highlights
- Misericordia University Occupational Therapy Department has been providing excellent occupational therapy education for over 30 years
- Traditional Weekday Entry Level BS in Occupational Science (BS in OS) and MSOT Program for traditional students graduating from high school. Five (5) year program to become an entry level occupational therapist.
- Non-traditional Weekend Entry Level BS in OS and MSOT Program for individuals who have a bachelor's degree in a field other than occupational therapy. Three (3) year program to become an entry level occupational therapist.
- Traditional Weekday Entry Level BS in OS and Occupational Therapy Doctorate (OTD) Program for traditional students graduating from high school. 6.33 year program to become and entry level occupational therapist.
- Post Professional OTD for individuals who are currently practicing as occupational therapists.
- Two student organizations, including the Misericordia University Student Occupational Therapy Association and Pi Theta Epsilon, the Occupational Therapy honor society
- Alumni serve as occupational therapy leaders in clinical practice, research, professional associations, and administration.
Pass rates are reported for all schools online on a state by state basis. Program results from the National Board for Certification in Occupational Therapy (NBCOT) can be found online at the NBCOT School Stats page.
The 2019 pass rate for the Misericordia University OT entry level program was 100%.
2018 - pass rate 100%
2017- pass rate 98%
2016- pass rate 100%
2015- pass rate 100%
2014- pass rate 98%
2013- pass rate 100%
2012- pass rate 97%
Scroll down to learn more about the OT Program Outcomes.
Misericordia University’s occupational therapy (OT) department has provided me with more opportunities, support, and resources than I could have imagined. The professors are all so invested in our learning process, and personal and professional development.
The program truly set out a path for success for me, both professionally and personally. The level of professionalism and preparedness to enter the field of OT that this school fostered in me is second to none.
Lori Charney, OTD/OTR/L
Chair, OT Dept.
MUOT offers 2 different points of entry into the profession: Master of Science in OT or Occupational Therapy Doctorate. You are welcomed into our program as a freshman and start working with OT professors to develop your skills through our many faculty led clinics and our robust selection of OT service opportunities.
Local to Global
Did you know OT students and faculty at Misericordia are among the most active providers of service on campus? We take seriously the four charisms of the Sisters of Mercy - mercy, service, justice, and hospitality, and try to make them come alive, each in our own way, locally, regionally, and globally. Here are a few of many examples: MU OT students and other majors regularly travel the globe to provide service in locations such as Jamaica, Peru, Guyana, and Honduras. Some of these longer trips carry course credit. The trip to Honduras is an OT course.
OT INTERNATIONAL SERVICE TRIP TO JAMAICA
In 2016 occupational therapy faculty and students from Misericordia University traveled to Mustard Seed Communities in Kingston Jamaica, as part of a class experience, to provide service and training to clients and staff at two homes for severely disabled children. This activity is part of a three part partnership between several universities, Mustard Seed Communities, and a group of therapists who provide pro-bono services worldwide, known as Therapy Missions. MU is one of three universities in this partnership.
OT Program Outcomes
Occupational therapists work in a wide variety of settings and with age groups from birth through older adulthood. Employment settings include school systems, nursing homes, rehabilitation centers, day care centers, hospitals, community mental health centers, prisons, home health agencies, private practice, educational institutions, early intervention programs, and dozens of other sites.