Incoming First Year Student Housing
First Year Student Housing PolicyThe University has determined that in the best interests of the students, the institution, and the community, that all traditional entering first-year students whose permanent residence is further than a 40 mile radius of the University are required to live in campus housing for a minimum of 2 academic years (4 academic semesters). Resident Students within a 40 mile radius of the university who choose to leave campus prior to the end of the two year period must submit a signed documentation from their parents or legal guardians documenting they will be moving to their permanent, legal residence.
Various reasons exist for this decision:
- The strong desire on the part of the University to provide an atmosphere in which underclassmen can gain easy and regular access to school related academic and co-curricular activities.
- Mentoring and positive modeling of underclassmen by upperclassmen within the residential community.
- The safety of our student body on- and off-campus, which is paramount in the eyes of the University. Students residing under the aegis of our community, including campus medical and safety personnel, can be assured of the highest level of safety, security and care.
- On campus, students can be assured that standards of safety, proper sanitary conditions, and certain amenities can best be maintained within the campus community.
- It is important to the staff, faculty and students of the University that our current positive relationships with our community be continued, fostered and where possible improved.
In Late January, after you deposit with the institution, you will receive information from the Admissions Office directing to you the MU Orientation page on the MyMU Portal. You will be given your credentials to sign into the portal to complete a number of necessary items including Residence Life paperwork. Residence Life paperwork can be found on the Housing and Meal Plan section of the Orientation page. Please follow the directions on the website to complete all of the information. On our Residence Life site, you will complete a Campus Housing Agreement, Roommate Matching Form, Theme Housing Form and Meal Plan Form.
All first year students are placed into housing based on deposit date with the institution and the information you provide on your roommate matching and theme housings forms. The majority of our 1st Year Students are split between 2 of our residential facilities, Alumnae and McHale Halls.
1st Year Students also have the opportunity to apply for our Special Interest Housing program we call R.E.A.C.H which stands for Residents Excelling in Academic Community and Health. R.E.A.C.H is a substance free, academically motivated community here at Misericordia. R.E.A.C.H students agree to abstain from alcohol, drugs and tobacco to create a community centered around learning and high academic achievement. The R.E.A.C.H Community is housed in McGowan Hall.
Applications are required for R.E.A.C.H and can be found on the MyMU Housing and Meal Plan Orientation page. Spaces are filled on a first come first serve basis due to limited space
During the Summer Orientation, you will also have the opportunity to meet AJ Nudo, Director of Residence Life, Dominick de Matteo, Area Coordinator of Residence Life for Student Engagement and some of the other Residence Life Staff. At that time they will be happy to answer any questions / concerns that you may have regarding Residence Life.
Should you need to contact the office beforehand, please feel free to call (570)-674-6178.