Bachelor of Social Work (BSW) Accelerated Degree Program
Program Chair/Program Director: Susan McDonald, MSW, Ph.D., LCW
The Bachelor of Social Work (BSW) Accelerated Degree Program prepares students for professional practice with a curriculum that integrates theory with practical experience in a Social Welfare Agency. Graduates are eligible for licensing in Pennsylvania and many other states. The Council on Social Work Education (CSWE) accredits the social work program. Students who want to earn a Master in Social Work (MSW) may be eligible for advanced standing in many graduate schools of social work throughout the United States.
The BSW Accelerated Degree Program is designed for students who have work and family obligations and will provide a majority of classes online, allowing students to complete their degree in as little as two years.
The only accelerated BSW program of its kind in the region, this program affords adult students, who oftentimes have to work part- or full-time while completing their degrees, the flexibility they need to meet the demands of work, school and family. The predictable format of the program enables students to take classes at an affordable rate, while utilizing a blend of online and in-person delivery formats.
Students can begin anytime throughout the year taking prerequisites, core and elective classes. They will join a cohort of students for the required social work classes that begins each fall.
- Hybrid/online format
- Predictable schedule - courses are offered sequentially within a structured cohort model
- Affordable - discounted tuition
- Accelerated - can be completed in as little as two years
- Flexible - designed for the working student. Most courses are offered online in a 1/2 semester format
- Personal - students receive the individual support and attention that is characteristic of the Misericordia experience
- Career preparation - students benefit from the hands-on experience provided through field instructions
The University has arrangements with numerous fieldwork sites that would allow students in the BSW Accelerated Degree Program to complete the required hours of fieldwork experience during evenings and weekends.
Students applying for a BSW Degree from Misericordia University's Accelerated Social Work Program must produce documentation on clearances including, FBI, Criminal Background Check, and Child Abuse Clearance.
Students must have a minimum 2.0 GPA based on all undergraduate coursework taken prior to enrollment.
In addition to the core curriculum requirements, free elective requirements and the courses listed below, all accelerated Social Work students must complete the following courses:
- PSY 123: Introduction to Psychology (must be completed prior to the start of Social Work cohort courses)
- SOC 101: Comparative Sociology (must be completed prior to the start of Social Work cohort courses)
- POL 100: American National Government
- SOC 122: Social Problems
- SOC 221: Cultural Minorities
- MTH 115: Basic Statistics I (must be completed prior to enrolling in SWK 232)
- At least one course in life science (may also be counted toward core requirements)
All coursework for the degree must be completed with the minimum grade specified per the catalog requirements in effect at the time of the student’s entry to the University. Failure to meet minimum grade requirements in the cohort courses will prohibit the student from continuing in cohort courses until the required grade has been satisfactorily met with the following cohort.
FIRST COHORT FULLTIME
7 Week sessions and Full Sessions, as indicated below.
*Hybrid classes meet (3x 7week session) on Tuesday evenings on LCCC’s Campus
Session 1 First Year Fall Semester
|SWK 101 70||Intro to SW||Online||Fall||3||None|
|SWK 350 70||HBSE||Online||Fall||3||PSY 123,|
Session 2 First Year Fall Semester
|SWK 251 75||Intro to Social Welfare||Online||Fall||3||SOC 101|
|SWK 351 70||HBSE||Online||Fall||3||PSY 123, SOC 101|
First Year Fall Semester Total: 12 credits
Session 1 First Year Spring Semester
|*SWK 252 M1||SW Policy||Hybrid||Spring||3||SWK 251|
|*SWK 366 M1||SWK Methods I||Hybrid||Spring||3||SWK 251|
Session 2 First Year Spring Semester
|*SWK 367 N1||SWK Methods II||Hybrid||Spring||3||SWK 251|
Full Term First Year Spring Semester
|SWK 371 77||Field|
|SWK 371 77||Field Seminar||Field|
First Year Spring Semester Total: 13 Credits
Summer Session Junior Year
|SWK electives* (2)|
Term Total: 6 Credits
*Please note: SWK electives may be taken during the summer, or after completion of cohort courses, or may be satisfied in transfer. the academic advisor will work with the student to determine the necessity of taking SWK electives.
Session 1 Second Year Fall Semester
|SWK 466 70||SWK Methods||Online||Fall||3||SWK 251|
Session 2 Second Year Fall Semester
Full Session Second Year Fall Semester
|SWK 475 77||Field|
|SWK 473 77||Field Sem||Field Sem||Fall||1|
Second Year Fall Semester Total: 10 Credits
Session 1 Second Year Spring Semester
|SWK 232 70||Research||Online||Spring||3||MTH 115|
Session 2 Second Year Spring Semester
|SWK 490 75||Senior Integrative|
|Online||Spring||3||SWK 101, SWK 366, SWK 367, SWK 466,SOC 232/SWK 232|
Full Session Second Year Spring Semester
|SWK 476 77||Field Instr III||Field Instr||Spring||3|
|SWK 474 77||Sield Sem||Field Sem||Spring||1|
Second Year Spring Semester Total: 10 credits
A completion of 121 credits is required to earn a BSW Degree from Misericordia University. Of those, 49 credits comprise the core curriculum; completion of the social work curriculum requires 78 credits. Certain courses--such as Comparative Sociology and Introduction to Psychology--fulfill both the liberal arts core and social work requirements. This allows the social work major a greater selection of elective courses and the opportunity to pursue a minor.
Student must receive a grade of “C” or better in all social work (SWK) courses and maintain a 2.50 G.P.A. in both liberal arts core and social work core coursework to remain in the program.
A. Maintenance of Student Status
- To maintain matriculation status in the Accelerated Social Work Program, students must:
- Be registered in both the fall and spring semesters of each academic year.
- Take and complete courses with the minimum required grade in the order prescribed by the curriculum map and/or advisor. Otherwise the student may be required to leave their SWK cohort and retake the course(s) with the following cohort.
- Notify your academic advisor and follow the withdrawal process outlined in the University’s Academic Catalog- Undergraduate studies during any semester that a student is not enrolled he/she must.
- In addition to following this process, accelerated social work students are required to notify the Chair of the Social Work in writing, of the reason(s) for withdrawal from matriculation status.
- Withdrawal will delay the anticipated date of graduation. Students withdrawing from the accelerated social work program will be required to wait a full year before registering for social work core courses.
- Students may continue at Misericordia with non-social work core courses or electives that apply toward degree requirements.
- Students must provide their own transportation to field agencies