Pennsylvania ACT 153
Updated: May 17, 2017
In an effort to strengthen protections for children in the PA Child Protective Services Law (CPSL), Pennsylvania ACT 153 went into effect on December 31, 2014. PA ACT 153 requires colleges and universities to obtain background clearances for any individuals having routine interaction with children/minors (under the age of 18) at the university or in a university-sponsored program, activity, or service. This requirement applies to university employees, volunteers, independent contractors, and students.
Routine Interaction is defined as regular and repeated contact that is integral to a person’s employment or volunteer responsibilities.
Three (3) PA Clearances are required at the time of hire and/or beginning work with minors.
Results for a 'paid employee' can be used for a volunteer position. Results for a 'volunteer' can not be used for a paid employee position. Please keep this in mind if you are or will be working in different capacities.
ACT153 Clearances are valid for five (5) years.
1. PA State Police Criminal Record Check
For paid employees:
The Campus Safety Department will complete the PA State Policy Criminal Record Check on your behalf. Please complete the required form here and submit it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
1. Click "New Record Check (Volunteers Only)"
2. Check box that you are an unpaid volunteer
3. Enter all of your information and select "Next"
4. Verify the accuracy of your information and select "Proceed"
5. Complete the Record Check Request Form and select "Enter this Request"
6. Scroll to the bottom of the page and select "Finish"
7. Review Request Queue and select "Submit"
8. Once your PSP check is complete, click on the "Control #"
9. Click on "Certification Form"
10. Click "Save." Open the document from the bottom of your screen and save to a place you will remember.
11. Email the PDF of the Certification Form to email@example.com (printed or scanned copies will not be accepted)
If you do not see your results immediately, please see the instructions here to retrieve results once you receive the email that they are available.
2. PA Child Abuse History Certification
Information You Will Need
- Addresses where you have previously lived
- Names of all individuals with whom you have lived to include parents, guardians, siblings, spouses, etc.
- Any previous names you have used or have been known by
- Applicants that do not meet the volunteer application criteria or volunteers who have already received a volunteer certification free of charge within the previous 57 months will need to provide either credit/debit card information for an $8.00 application fee or an authorization code from the organization that is asking you to obtain a Pennsylvania Child Abuse History Certification. If an authorization code has not been provided to you, please submit your receipt along with your results for reimbursement.
- Click "Create Individual Account"
- Click "Next"
- Create Keystone ID: Profile Information (Keystone ID is created by you)
- A temporary password will be sent to the email you provided
- Click on Electronic Certification
- Click "Individual Login"
- Access My Clearances
- Login using Keystone ID and temporary password
- Verify your account
- Create password
- Login to account using new password
- Agree to Terms and Conditions
- Create Clearance Application
- Under Application Purpose choose one of the following:
For Paid Employee:
School Employee Not Governed by Public School Code: Applying as a school employee not governed by Section 111 of the Public School Code
For Paid Student Employee or Camp Worker:
Individual 14 years of age or older who is applying for or holding a paid position as an employee with a program, activity or service, as a person responsible for the child's welfare or having direct contact with children: Applying as an employee who is responsible for the child's welfare or having direct contact (providing care, supervision, guidance or control to children or having routine interaction with children) in any of the following in which children participate and which is sponsored by a school or a public or private organization: A youth camp or program; A recreational camp or program; A sports or athletic program; A community or social outreach program; An enrichment or educational program; and A troop, club or similar organization
Volunteer Having Contact with Children: Applying for the purpose of volunteering as an adult for an unpaid position as a volunteer with a child-care service, a school or a program, activity or service, as a person responsible for the child's welfare or having direct volunteer contact with children
16. Complete the remainder of application.
17. Email the PDF of the Certification Form to firstname.lastname@example.org
3. FBI Fingerprint Based Criminal History Report
- For volunteers that have lived in Pennsylvania for the last ten (10) years, please read and complete the affirmation statement here and submit to email@example.com. If you fall into this category, no further action is required.
- For paid employees and volunteers that have lived outside of Pennsylvania at any time during the past ten years, you will need to have your fingerprints scanned. Please follow the instructions below, or for further instruction, click here:
***Please note, this process takes time! Results can take weeks to be returned. Please plan accordingly!***
1. Pre-register at https://identogo.com
Appointments to be fingerprinted are not required, but pre‐registration is required. Once registered, you may walk‐in during a location’s posted hours of operation. You may also schedule an appointment to lessen your wait time.
Identogo uses service codes when identifying the authorized purpose for why an applicant is being fingerprinted. This ensures applicants are processed for the correct purpose and agency.
Below are the service codes available for Misericordia applicants applying under the DHS:
Employee >=14 Years Contact w/ Children
2. Arrive for appointment with required ID document.
3. Your official results will be mailed to your home address within the following few weeks (this can take weeks). They will arrive on a blue tinted, heavier stock paper.
4. Bring your Original Fingerprint results to Human Resources located in Mercy Hall, ground floor (copies will not be accepted).
You can submit your receipts for reimbursement at the time you hand in your official results.