MU Arts Council
The mission of the MU Arts Council is to support the integral role of the arts in the lives of all people we serve, across campus and throughout the surrounding community. We aim to do so by fostering opportunities for collaboration across departments; creating opportunities for student leadership in the arts; and enhancing the visual, cultural, and performing arts through academic and experiential programming. As advocates, we recognize that “All are Welcome” by bringing together people of all skill levels and supporting artists from underrepresented traditions.
MU Arts Council Membership:
- Admissions: Donna Cerza/Rachel Oberg
- Alumni Relations: Lailani Augustine
- CACE: Johnna Evans
- Dean, College of Arts and Sciences: Dr. Heidi Manning
- Film: Dr. Ryan Watson
- Manager of Multicultural and Inclusion Initiatives: Linh Nguyen
- Music: Dr. Ryan Weber
- Pauly Friedman Art Gallery: Dr. Laine Little
- Residential Life: Dominic deMatteo
- Theater: Jeff Kelly
- Visual Arts: Dr. Kara Carmack
MU Arts Council co-chairs: Laine Little and Ryan Weber
- Mini-grants to students. The MU Arts Council provides mini grants to students to produce an art-based project in any medium. Applications are open to all students regardless of major or prior experience. Interdisciplinary projects and/or those that incorporate a service element are especially welcome. Contact Drs. Weber or Little for more information and to request an application.
- Fall Arts Kick-Off. Each year, representatives from multiple departments gather to share in the artistic accomplishments of our students, faculty, and staff. The celebration includes live performances by students and faculty, a film screening, special tours of campus and our art exhibits, a reception, and much more! This year's event is schedule for 5:30-8:30pm (with some tours offered prior to 5:30) on Wednesday, September 18th, 2019. Most events will take place in Insalaco Hall; all are free of charge. For more information, contact the Pauly Friedman Art Gallery at 570.674.6250 or click this link. We look forward to welcoming you to the Arts at MU!
More information on the Arts @ MU:
Misericordia University boasts a vibrant cultural life on campus. With so many options, we invite you to explore the full range of possibilities and get involved in the Arts @ MU:
- On Stage: Each year, the Misericordia Players create two theater productions. Past shows have included “Jesus Christ Superstar,” “Pippin,” “You Can’t Take it With You,” and many others. Participation is open to all students through audition. No prior experience is necessary. For more information, contact Jeff Kelly at email@example.com.
- With Your Peers: MU is home to a variety of student-run clubs and activities, including: Multicultural Club, Irish Dance Club, Beyond Harmony (a cappella ensemble), Dance Team & Dance Ensemble, and the Misericordia Theater Group. You are also invited to get involved and create your own club! For more information, contact Dominick deMatteo at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- In the Practice Studio: The Department of Fine Arts offers private instruction with members of our Concert Artist Faculty. Students can enroll in private lessons on a variety of instruments by registering for these one-credit courses. No prior experience is necessary. For more information, contact Dr. Ryan Weber at email@example.com.
- On Screen: The Department of Mass Communication and Design and the Department of Fine Arts offer joint opportunities for students interested in film and media studies. For more information, contact Dr. Ryan Watson at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- In the Art Gallery: The 2,700-foot Pauly Friedman Art Gallery is located in Insalaco Hall. For more than a decade, the Gallery has hosted notable exhibitions, including “Deadly Medicine: Creating The Master Race,” as well as works by Pablo Picasso, Ansel Adams, and Auguste Rodin. For more information, contact Dr. Laine Little at email@example.com.
- In Residential Life: Special themed housing is available to students interested in Arts & Music. For more information, contact Dominick deMatteo at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- In the Community: The MU Community Choir is comprised of MU students, faculty, staff, and alumni, as well as community members. Audition is required for placement. For more information, contact Matthew Rupcich at email@example.com.
- In the Classroom: In addition to a wide array of interdisciplinary classes, students also have the opportunity to apply for a research grant through the University’s SURF program to work alongside our faculty. For more information, contact Dr. Ryan Weber at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- In the Art Studio: Classes and workshops are offered in a variety of options ranging from photography to painting and ceramics (in both credit and non-credit options). For more information, contact email@example.com.